Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Give Books for Kids and Teens

NOTE: This is a duplicate post to the one I put on my Maggie's Meanderings blog last week. I just wanted to make sure all my readers and other authors, who only see this blog, access the wonderful work of Dawn Lowery and Wee Care Community Outreach.

As an author and an educator I sometimes take literacy for granted. I was blessed from early age with a grandmother who loved to read and every Christmas I saw books under the tree.  My father also loved stories and enjoyed writing (though he never published his writing).  I've been a reader as long as I can remember and a storyteller since I could first form words.

The Romance Writers of America take literacy very seriously.  At every national conference, the profits from book sales at the author signing (usually more than 500 authors are signing) go to literacy.  Many local chapters do something similar.  My own chapter used to have a literacy fundraiser in the form of a luncheon.

So, it was with great happiness that I recently learned of a special person on Goodreads. I was running a giveaway of my YA Fantasy books under the Maggie Faire name. One of the entrants wrote me to let me know she was hoping to win.  But the reason was not only to read my books; it was because she and her family have founded a community outreach program for poor families in Georgia where they help people of all ages learn to read and/or improve their reading.  Every book she wins, or buys, or receives as a gift goes to the center's library.  They want to have a large variety of books so they can always find something of interest to the new or expanding reader.

Well, she didn't win my giveaway but, after researching her organization (which is an official IRS Non profit) I knew I would send her copies of my books.  I am hoping that those who see my post here will also do the same.


Donated books can be sent to:

Wee Care Community Outreach
C/O Dawn Lowery
3985 Shelton Drive
Resaca, Georgia  30735

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I always love to hear these stories. How we came to love reading, and how we connect to readers. Thanks, Maggie.